As we mentioned before, door automation is not just “in style”, and as it becomes more mainstream, our Customers will expand the use of it within their homes. This is why, in collaboration with our OEMs, we are constantly developing new solutions which will meet the changing requests of the marketplace.
Very large door systems (greater than 10,000 lb. doors) have been challenging for some in our industry to apply automation to while ensuring smooth operation. Through our ongoing research and development, we have a motor that solves this issue. On the opposite side of the size spectrum, we offer a much smaller motor package, even down to just 1-1/2” x 1-1/2” x 9” tall, that automates smaller door systems. Other cutting-edge applications, created with the input and expertise of our OEMs, include those used for pocket door systems, pivot door systems, and window systems.
Did you know that we produce over 200 unique part numbers to support our various automation systems, in addition to custom door manufacturer parts to meet their applications? We have a full machine shop under our very own Summit Automation roof! We are proud to say 90% of the components that go into our systems are made within our in-house factory, and the remaining 10% are sourced sensibly here in the US.
We shy away from international suppliers that provide sporadic deliveries – a problem that became painfully evident during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, and still ongoing today. While it’s true that offshore sourcing provides slightly better costs, when you couple those costs with current import duties, shipping costs, and inevitable delays in receiving orders from them, the savings are just not worth it. Our Customers deserve better, and we’re able to provide the vast majority of parts ourselves.
Summit uses aerospace-grade raw materials because performance matters in window and door automation, and we believe that these time-tested and trusted materials are the only way to go. They do cost more, but their reliability and lifespan justify the expense.
We are the only US-based automation company that provides multi-slide door UL certification as a system. Others claim they have UL components, but it is just that – components – as their company itself has never gone through the rigorous testing required by the UL labs.
Our systems went through 14 different tests taking over 2 years to perform at a very expensive cost to obtain the certification, but every penny was worth it to insure the door manufacturers’ liability is limited in the rare case of an issue. Let’s face it – these are big doors with a lot of mass moving with kinetic energy. If you do not have a certified system in place like we do, many things can and do go wrong resulting in doors, tracks, and sills being damaged, not to mention homes being damaged, and potentially the automation system as well, along with possible operator incidents. Going through the 14 tests, which included performance testing as well as crush testing, provides a level of peace of mind that helps us all sleep at night.
We also have the testing facilities here on site to erect one of your test doors, and we are capable of performing cycle testing for endurance as well at automation testing for force limits. With our staff of four engineers on site, we can handle the most challenging projects, but we also partner with ASU Polytech school on Capstone projects. This allows us access to up to 16 additional engineers along with faculty and staff from ASU.
Our commitment to be the best automation company for windows and doors means we are constantly evolving. The Customers we serve deserve the absolute finest products we can offer, and by working together with our OEMs / door and window manufacturers, we are able to do exactly that.